- SES is a managed service and ideal for sending bulk emails at scale
- The existing email server can also be configured to send outgoing
- SES acts as an outbound email server and eliminates the need to support their own software or applications to do the heavy lifting of email transport
- emails through SES with no change in any settings in the email clients
- Maximum message size including attachments is 10 MB per message.
- Compatible with SMTP
- Applications can send email using a single API call in many supported languages Java, .Net, PHP, Perl, Ruby, HTTP/HTTPS etc
- Optimized for highest levels of uptime, availability and scales as per the demand
- Provides sandbox environment for testing
- Production SES has a set of sending limits which include
- Sending Quota – max number of emails in a 24-hour period
- Maximum Send Rate – max number of emails per second
- SES automatically adjusts the limits upward as long as emails are of high quality and they are sent in a controlled manner, as any spike in the email sent might be considered to spam.
- Limits can also be raised by submitting a Quota increase request
- You pay $0.10 for every 1,000 emails you send or receive.
- You pay $0.12 per GB of data in the messages you send. This includes headers, message content (including text and images), and attachments.
- You pay $0.09 for every 1,000 incoming mail chunks 256 kilobytes. This includes headers, message content (text and images), and attachments.
SES Good Practices
- Send high-quality and real production content that your recipients want
- Only send to those who have signed up for the mail
- Unsubscribe recipients who have not interacted with the business recently
- Have low bounce and compliant rates and remove bounced or complained addresses, using SNS to monitor bounces and complaints, treating them as an opt-out
- Monitor the sending activity